This policy sets out how Recorded Music NZ collects personal information. It also describes how we maintain, use and disclose personal information. We respect the privacy of individuals and do not release personal information except in response to a legal requirement or at the direction of the Chief Executive Officer. In all other circumstances, this policy governs the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information.
Collection of your personal information
Where we collect personal information it is collected for Recorded Music NZ’s business purposes, which are detailed generally on this website at www.recordedmusic.co.nz
Where we require personal information Recorded Music NZ will state the purposes of this requirement and to whom the personal information may be disclosed.
Use of your personal information
We may, from time to time, send you material that Recorded Music NZ considers will be useful to you. We may also send you material about our services and activities. If you do not wish to receive this information, you can let us know and we will not send it to you. This does not apply to information that we are legally required to send, or information regarding the rights of our master rights holders and registrants (members) in relation to our licensing activities.
We use the personal information to collect to fulfil our legal obligations and to keep our members and licensees informed of Recorded Music NZ’s services and activities that it provides to our members and licensees.
Disclosure of your personal information
Recorded Music NZ will only disclose your personal information to external parties where such disclosure is directly related to the purpose for which the information was obtained. Depending on the service, your personal information may be disclosed to:
- External service providers (on a confidential basis and such service providers will be limited in their use of your information to the purpose of Recorded Music NZ’s activities only;
- Overseas and local collecting societies, such as APRA, or music licensing companies that collect and distribute rights royalties and that have a reciprocal agreement with Recorded Music NZ or joint/common licensing activities with Recorded Music NZ;
- Collecting societies or music licensing companies which Recorded Music NZ is a member for the purpose only of distributing money to Recorded Music NZ members;
- Certain licensees where disclosure is required as part of their funding contracts – e.g. Te Mangai Pahoe. Release will nonetheless be noted as confidential for their internal use only:
- Specialist advisers to Recorded Music NZ will have been engaged to provided Recorded Music NZ with legal, administrative, financial, insurance, research, marketing or other services; or
- Any other person authorised by you, as specified by you, such as your agent, manager or designated recipient.
We may at other times notify you about our disclosure practices in relation to specific services that we provide in relation to our activities.
Security of your personal information
We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, unauthorised access, modification, disclosure or other misuse.
Sensitive personal information
We do not generally collect any sensitive information as that term is used in the Privacy legislation (including information relating to your racial or ethnic origin, membership of political bodies, religion or trade unions, sexual preferences or activities, criminal record, state of health or medical history) If Recorded Music NZ holds any sensitive or personal information about you, that information will only be used and disclosed by Recorded Music NZ for the purpose that it was provided by you.
Access to your personal information
At any time, you may request access to personal information about you that Recorded Music NZ holds. We will process your request within a reasonable time, and if we are unable to give you a copy of the information, will let you know generally the sort of information we hold about you.
Correction of personal information
You should promptly notify us if there are any changes to your personal information. You may ask us at any time to correct personal information we hold about you.
We may amend this policy from time to time, and the policy will be published on this website.