• ”What
    There are two separate copyrights in recorded music.

    Recorded Music NZ collects on behalf of the owners of sound recordings i.e. Master Rights Holders and Recording Artists.

    APRA collects on behalf of composers, songwriters and/or publishers – owners of musical works.

    OneMusic is a joint licensing initiative between APRA and Recorded Music NZ for all public performance licensing, offering one music licence covering both sets of rights.

  • ”My
    Yes, most definitely. Recorded Music NZ collects licence fees from broadcasters, webcasters and through OneMusic, businesses and organisations that play music in public. We then distribute these royalties amongst Master Rights Holders and Recording Artists based on the recordings registered in our database. If you do not register, we can’t pay you. We also cannot distribute royalties retrospectively, so it’s important to keep track registrations up to date.
  • ”How
    The amount which you may receive is determined by your airplay for that distribution year against the total amount of the airplay received by all other recordings registered. A percentage based on the NZ airplay content logged for the distribution year is then set aside to be distributed amongst registered recordings. These funds are collected from Recorded Music NZ licensees such as broadcasters, public performance venues or special use compilers and production houses. Public performance royalties are collected through OneMusic, the joint licensing initiative between Recorded Music NZ and APRA.
  • ”I
    For some territories yes. Recorded Music NZ has bilateral agreements in place with PPL (UK) & Sound Exchange (US) and reciprocal agreements for certain webcasts with approximately 40 others countries worldwide. Due to differences in copyright legislation between New Zealand and these countries, conditions do apply on what recordings qualify so please contact our Member Services Team for more information.
  • ”My
    Yes. Because your record company owns the copyright to your sound recording i.e. the Master Rights Holder, it controls broadcasting and public performance rights and is entitled to a 50% share of any royalties payable.
  • ”How
    Please refer to the ISRC page.
  • ”What
    Recorded Music NZ’s right to License New Zealand businesses for the playing of sound recordings in public is conferred both under the Copyright Act 1994 and its various contractual agreements with a substantial number of both Recording Artists and Master Rights Holders and international Master Rights Holders (Recorded Music NZ’s Members).
  • ”It
    Recorded Music NZ mandate agreements (i.e. Master Rights Agreements – currently called Input Agreements with our members are “non-exclusive”. This means that music users are free, at any time, to arrange licensing directly with individual Master Rights Holders. Recorded Music NZ offers a “blanket licence” product which provides the permission of a large number of Master Rights Holders and Registered Artists at one time in respect of their communication, public performance and certain reproduction rights.

    As mentioned, this blanket licence is not the only way music users can obtain permission from these labels and artists. Those using our Members’ music are free to approach them all direct and negotiate individual licence fees for the repertoire of recordings you wish to play.