What is a Licensor?

A licensor is someone who holds the exclusive licence for the copyright in a sound recording and/or a music video i.e. Master Rights Holder. This means you own the copyright in the sound recording itself – different from the copyright in the composition of a song which belongs to the song writer(s).

A licensor can be independent Recording Artists, Distributors and record labels.

You’re also a licensor if you have an exclusive licence agreement for New Zealand with the owner of a sound recording. An example of this would be a local record label/distributor (Distributor) releasing in New Zealand a recording owned by an overseas record label.

Registration as a licensor with Recorded Music NZ is open to New Zealand independent Recording Artists, Distributors and Master Rights Holders only. If you are the owner of an international recording and do not have an agreement with a New Zealand record label or distributor, repertoire can be submitted under Reciprocal Agreements held with Sound Exchange (USA) and PPL UK. Please contact  Sound Exchange and PPL directly for details.

How do I register as a Licensor?

To register as a licensor, please complete, sign and return the Licensor Acceptance Document.

Prior to signing, you should refer to the following materials:

If you are an independent New Zealand recording artist, you might also wish to register as an artist. in the Direct-to-Recording Artist Scheme

Elect to become a shareholder in Recorded Music NZ


The licensor (Master rights Holder) acceptance document asks if you would like to become a shareholder in Recorded Music NZ.


Once you have registered as a licensor (Master Rights Holder) you are eligible to become a shareholder, but this is up to you. If you would like to become a shareholder please sign the shareholder acceptance section of the Licensor (Master Rights Holder) Acceptance document.

Our Company Structure document also contains information that you might find useful before deciding whether you wish to become a shareholder.