Under the Copyright Act 1994 (Copyright Act), owners or exclusive licensees of copyright in sound recordings are given certain exclusive rights.  These include the right to perform the work in public, to play or show the work in public, and to communicate the work to the public via broadcasting and/or the internet or other form of transmission.

Recorded Music NZ is able to represent certain rights on behalf of right holders (who we refer to as Master Rights Holders).  For example, when sound recordings are used in a public setting by businesses such as cafes, bars, radio stations, TV networks, streaming video services and gyms.

When music is used in these situations, it would be very difficult for music users to identify and seek permission from every copyright owner.  Equally it is difficult for individual right holders to negotiate with music users.

Recorded Music NZ is able to offer a blanket licence to users of music and then pay this income to registered Master Rights Holders, after deducting administrative costs.

If your music is broadcast on radio or television or is played in pubs, bars, cafes, shops, gyms – or any other public place around New Zealand – you may be entitled to royalty payments.

It is quick and easy to register your tracks with us and our service is free – we deduct our administrative expenses from the income collected. For more information on our expenses please see our distribution policy.

Click here for our Music Map showing licensing income streams in NZ.